GBNpro's Beta Works
Metal Fatigue Design Tests
Since 2012, GBNpro saw it's first customer damage reports in six years. They indicated metal fatigue as seen on our FAQ and Support Pages. We can't go back to that manufacturing run because those individuals, machines and company are no longer involved in our production. For three years we've tested different designs for future manufacture runs with a design change called the "Shark Tooth" design. Below you see the best tested result for our future design. Until that domestic production is secured we will be applying a clear bead just below the mounting headband. This, we hope heads off any future metal fatigue.
The above image is a rough beta test version of our future generation and most improvised TPE design change. We added "shark teeth" running horizontal off the mounting headband with additional horizontal thin run and diagonal corners and lastly, Pull tabs added on the top ends for focused handling and remounting. Testing proved this design to be the toughest and most rigorous design yet. Click above image for larger details (JPG or PDF). So far this design change seems best for our next production of version 7.
Helmet Top Vent Screen Test
We are testing a top screen addition: This small flexible screen is placed above and behind the brim of the helmet, if it has one. Otherwise, it's laid above the bug screen to cover the helmet air inlet vents. This should keep insects from hitting your head, burrowing into your hair and stinging you. Right now the fiberglass flexible screen is being tested and reviewed for design application potential for many helmets. The additional screening is harder to see from the thumbnails below, so please click on the image for a greater detail view.
Our most recent development is the "BugMask™"; which incorporates a creative graphic design overlaid on the front of the bug screen. Alien faces and bug eyes have being tested. The Martian face was most popular. These bug screens undergo tests for function first, appearance second and finally you - the market. When they become available, they will be highlighted on our website home and purchase page. Thank you for checking back to see our progress. Remember, you can always submit a design idea for testing to see how it fares; winter in Saint Francis, Wisconsin would be the best time for this.
BugMask™ Beta history
GBNpro's Beta Development
Since 1998, GBNpro has always worked to improve TheBugScreen™. We are always testing new materials, construction processes and manufacturing conditions of our product. Using aluminum screen and TPE Olefin encasement as our main constituents, we maintain recyclability of the used product and it's packaging. All of the materials used to make our bug screen are produced in the United States, further, all our paper and packaging material is produced here in Wisconsin. We deliberately produce TheBugScreen™ in the U.S. to support local businesses, their employees, fair wages and better environmental standards, as compared to some other countries. We know this makes our product slightly more expensive, however, it means higher quality for you and sustainable work for our neighbors.
Below are some images of early research models and test screens which led to the current design finalized in April 2009. The designs started out with non-metal cloth until 2001. That's when we went to various metals with different weave densities. The molding process demands the strength of a metal. Bare metals reflected too much light in unpredictable ways, some weaves whistled at low speeds, and some designs had too much surface area for the aerodynamic drag, making them collapse at higher speeds. In 2003 we finalized cut angles and proportions which met all our optimum needs, but we still hadn't developed a standardized sealing method for the metal fibers. Finally in 2006, a creative small factory owner in Saint Francis, Wisconsin agreed to experiment with different molding materials on our screens. 2007 was the first year molded frames became available with surgical rubber. Testing through 2007 to early 2009 demonstrated that a TPE molding with a slightly smaller size produced the current optimal design we now sell.